WIPO has announced the new 12th edition of the International Classification of Goods and Services for the Purposes of the Registration of Marks which will come into force on 01.01.2023.
What is exciting about this addition is the entrance of new types of goods and services and in particular such related to blockchain technologies.
According to the IPKat blog, the following amendments and additions were made in the upcoming edition of the classification:
In Class 9:
- New goods: “downloadable digital files authenticated by non-fungible tokens [NFTs]”, “computer network routers”, “portable document scanners”, “cases for smartphones incorporating a keyboard”.
- Amendment of the goods: “downloadable computer software for managing cyptocurrency transactions using blockchain technology” to “downloadable computer software for managing crypto asset transactions using blockchain technology”.
In Class 42:
- Amendment of the services: “information technology [IT] consultancy” to “information technology [IT] support services [troubleshooting of software]”.
- Amendment of the services: “cryptocurrency mining / cryptomining” to “mining of crypto assets / cryptomining”.
- New services: “archaeological excavation”.